STRENGTHENING PUBLIC HEALTH ACROSS CANADA: THE INFLUENCE OF THE NCCs
The NCCs have always been interested in strengthening public health across Canada.
In 2015-2016, we asked: What impact has our work had on public health knowledge, practices, organizations and systems to date? And, how can this inform how we move forward? Documenting “success” and influence is no easy task; it requires a good understanding of the levers and processes that influence practice, policy, and interacting systems. The NCCs are pleased to have worked with Dr. Natalie Kischuk, fellow at the Canadian Evaluation Society, and Nancy Anna Hanusaik. Together, we recorded and articulated the NCCs defining moments, approaches and decisions. We also assessed facilitating and risk conditions that influence the application of knowledge. This appreciative approach gave us rich data, and further illuminated what we had heard through evaluation surveys and testimonials.
In 2017-2018, we built on this work, sharing more about the diverse ways the NCCs have influenced Canadian public health.
The resulting product, Strengthening public health across Canada: The influence of the National Collaborating Centres for Public Health, includes:
- An analysis of how NCCs are strengthening public health across Canada, including links to related examples
- Brief guides to each NCC
- 10 case stories of NCC influence-in-action
- Opening a space to integrate Indigenous perspectives and build cultural awareness (NCC for Aboriginal Health)
- Pan-Canadian leaders forum designed to put knowledge into action (NCC for Determinants of Health)
- Improving the safety of personal service establishments (NCC for Environmental Health)
- Demystifying policy analysis for better public health interventions (NCC for Healthy Public Policy)
- Notifiable Diseases Database – Consultation and collaboration for an essential public health resource (NCC for Infectious Diseases)
- Accessible training builds capacity (NCC for Methods and Tools)
- Promoting population mental health and wellness (NCCs for Public Health)
- Knowledge translation in public health medicine (NCCs for Public Health)
- Influenza and influenza-like-illness (NCCs for Public Health)
- Integrating equity into environmental health practice (NCCs for Public Health)
This product is in the final stages of production. Please check back soon.