Categories : Featured resources
On January 30, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the COVID-19 outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). This declaration was made due to the rapid spread of the virus and to mobilize a global coordinated effort to enhance preparedness globally and especially in vulnerable states with weakened health systems.
New cases are identified daily. See the World Health Organization (WHO) operations dashboard, the WHO website, or the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) website for the latest surveillance information on the outbreak.
This page introduces a variety of topics related to COVID-19 and features a select list of relevant resources from across the NCCs as well as from external websites. Last updated: March 9, 2020.
- Infection prevention and control
- Effective public health practice for health professsionals
- Research, partnerships, and networking initiatives
- Health equity
- Indigenous perspectives
- "Early experience with screening for COVID-19 in Toronto". Infographic containing data on persons under investigation (PUI) for COVID-19 from January 20 to February 19, 2020, in eight (8) Toronto emergency rooms. Shows clinical characteristics and recommendations for testing and diagnostics. Prepared by Lin M., Beliavsky, A., Katz K., et al. based on their early-rereleased CMJA article "What can early Canadian experience screening for COVID-19 teach us about how to prepare for a pandemic?" published March 6, 2020.
- "Disease Debrief : the 2019 Novel Coronvirus Outbreak". An up-to-date review of essential information for Canadian public health practitioners and clinicians. Prepared by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. Latest update: March 2, 2020.
- "Public Health Quick Links: Coronavirus 2019-nCoV". Links to key leaders and sources in infectious disease prevention, control and knowledge for Canadian public health professionals. Updated regularly as new information emerges. Prepared by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. Latest update: March 2, 2020.
- "Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Online course". This World Health Organization (WHO) course provides information on what facilities should be doing to be prepared to respond to a case of an emerging respiratory virus such as the novel coronavirus, how to identify a case once it occurs, and how to properly implement IPC measures to ensure there is no further transmission to HCW or to other patients and others in the healthcare facility. February 25, 2020.
- "Infection Prevention and Control for 2019-nCoV". A podcast on infection prevention and control in Canadian healthcare settings with Dr. John Embil, an infectious disease consultant at the University of Manitoba and Medical Director for the Infection Prevention and Control program at the Health Sciences Centre hospital and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. Prepared by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. February 7, 2020.
- "What health professionals need to know about 2019-nCoV". A podcast about testing and diagnosis of COVID-19 and Canada's laboratory response with Dr. Jared Bullard, an infectious disease specialist and Associate Medical Director at the Cadham Provincial Lab in Winnipeg, Manitoba. One of a series of podcasts on COVID-19 related questions prepared by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. February 6, 2020.
- "Forum on the Coronavirus". Listen to a webinar recording of an in person forum on the coronavirus in English organized by the University of Manitoba's Department of Community Health, featuring experts in community health and infection control, as well as an emergency medicine practitioner, a representative from an Indigenous community, a newspaper columnist and a student back from a recent trip to China. February 5, 2020.
- "Risk-informed decision-making for mass gatherings during COVID-19 global outbreaks". Guidance document for conducting a risk assessment when determining the public health actions related to a mass gathering during the COVID-19 outbreak. Published by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). Latest update March 10, 2020.
- "Community-based measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada". Guidance document concerning non pharmaceutical public health measures (PHM) that can be used to reduce and delay community transmission of COVID-19. Published by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). Latest update March 10, 2020.
- "Coronavirus, Human Rights, and Social Media: Balancing Rights and Response in a #Pandemic". A lunch and a talk organized by the University of Ottawa's Centre for Law, Policy, and Ethics and Centre for Law, Technology, and Society on Thursday, February 27 from 11:30 to 1pm.
- "Effective public health engagement with nurses in Canada about 2019-nCoV". A podcast featuring Dr. Claire Betker, President of the Canadian Nurses Association and the Scientific Director for the National Collaborating Centre for the Determinants of Health. One of a series of podcasts on COVID-19 related questions prepared by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. February 13, 2020.
- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) launched the Canadian 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-2019) Rapid Research Funding Opportunity as part of Canada's response to the global effort to address the public health challenges of COVID-19. The funding request deadline was in February 18, 2020. On March 6, 2020, the CIHR announced a funding program for 47 research projects related to COVID-19 focused on areas such as clinical management, diagnostics, therapeutics, transmission dynamics and animal host, vaccines, governance and logistics, stigma, communications and Indigenous-led countermeasures. March 6, 2020.
- "Social Stigma associated with COVID-19". A guide to preventing and addressing social stigma prepared by EPI-World Health Organization. February 24, 2020.
- "Addressing stigma and discrimination related to 2019-nCoV". A podcast featuring Pemma Muzumdar, Knowledge Translation Specialist at the the NCC for Determinants of Health. Presented by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. One of a series of podcasts on COVID-19 related questions presented by the NCC for Infectious Diseases. February 21, 2020.
- Two University of Manitoba researchers have been award funding for studies that focus on public health responses in Indigenous populations as part of the Canadian Institutes of Health Resource (CIHR) as part of the COVI-19 Rapid Response Program. March 6, 2020.
- "Coronavirus and First Nations communities". A web page prepared by Indigenous Services Canada specifically for First Nations Communities. Lastest update: March 3, 2020.